Electrical Appliance Safety

10 Appliance Fire & Electrical Safety Tips

According to the consumer group Which? faulty household appliances cause 60 fires a week in the UK. These are mostly attributed to washing machines and tumble driers, though also include dishwashers, fridges and freezers.

You can take the following steps to reduce the risk of a fire in your home:

1. Buy from a trustworthy retailer and take care to follow the manufacturers instructions when installing, maintaining and using electrical appliances.

2. Try not to leave dishwashers, tumble dryers or washing machines running while you are out of the house, or overnight.

3. Take care not to overload washing machines and tumble dyers, large & bulky items such as duvets should be taken to specialist cleaners.

4. When it comes to locating your appliances, don’t put a fridge or freezer near radiators or cookers or in direct sunlight.

5. Make sure that only microwave-safe items are put into the microwave.

6. If any of your appliances start to smell, make a strange noise or don’t seem to be working properly unplug them straight away and contact the manufacturer or a qualified electrician.

7. Remember to regularly clean behind your freezer and fridge to prevent the build-up of dust and make sure that there is sufficient room behind the appliance to allow air to circulate freely.

8. When you have purchased a new appliance make sure you take the time to register it. Doing so means that the manufacturer can then contact you in case of any safety concerns arising. It is your responsibility to let the manufacturer know that you own the appliance, registering can also give you access to a guarantee or extended warranty.

9. Keep an eye on the condition of your plugs and sockets – if you have any concerns stop using them until they have been checked by a professional.

10. Finally, don’t forget handheld appliances such as hair dryers and straighteners. These can become extremely hot during normal use. Take extra care to ensure that these are switched off and unplugged after use.

If you need any further advice on fire and electrical safety, please get in touch. We’d be very happy to help.