Dog Starts Fire in Oxfordshire Home

Dog Starts Fire in Oxfordshire Home

When you think about the common causes of fire in the home the things that spring to mind might include candles, faulty wiring, smoking or a child with a box of matches.

It’s unlikely that you would expect a family pet to be the guilty party but that was the case at a home in Headington, Oxford.

A pet dog attempting to reach a plastic rubbish bin on a cooker switched on the hob causing the fire to start. The bin had been placed there to put it out of the dog’s reach.

Firefighters were called to deal with the fire, and no one was hurt.

Whether you have a pet dog or not, here are 10 steps you can take to prevent a fire in the kitchen.

  1. Avoid cooking when under the influence of alcohol
  2. Never leave children alone in the kitchen when cooking on the hob, ensure saucepan handles are kept out of reach
  3. Loose clothing can easily catch fire so take extra care
  4. Keep tea towels and cloths away from the hob
  5. Make sure your toaster is kept clean and kept away from kitchen rolls and curtains
  6. Don’t put anything metal in the microwave
  7. Keep electrical leads and appliances away from water
  8. Take extra care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily
  9. Never throw water over a pan of oil if it catches fire
  10. Double check the cooker is off when you have finished cooking